Only 3 food pantries currently operate daily.
Multiple other pantries only operate 8 days or fewer per month.
Limited food pantry hours in the evening and in rural areas.
- 300,952 Population
- 17.1% Population living in poverty
- 18.3% Population facing food insecurity
Only 2 food pantries currently operate daily in Chapel Hill and in Hillsborough.
A limited number of other pantries are open 4 days or fewer per month.
- 141,354 Population
- 14.3% Population living in poverty
- 14.6% Population facing food insecurity
Estimated Food Distribution
Durham Food Pantry
12,000 Sq. Ft. Building
- Utilize the service delivery model currently in practice at the Catholic Charities Food Pantry in Raleigh which serves 8,500 individuals a month.
- Open 6 days a week to serve the community.
- Include current Catholic Charities offices to provide comprehensive services to clients.
- Partner with various faith-based and social service agencies who would assess and refer individuals.
- Provide one week of groceries per visit to families. (Families may visit once every 30 days.)
- Potentially offer other services including clothing or special emergency assistance.
INITIAL FUNDING NEEDS
Target Opening Date: 2O18