The New Bern Regional Office welcomes individuals and families of all faiths or no faith tradition from the following counties: Beaufort, Carteret, Craven, Jones, Onslow, and Pamlico.
Catholic Charities of the diocese of Raleigh provides professionally-trained bilingual clinical counseling services to individuals, couples, and families who:
- Are experiencing emotional distress
- Want to grow toward their full potential
- Are experiencing difficulty dealing with stress, depression or anxiety
- Desire increased skills to deal with life’s struggles
- Desire healing from grief, loss or strained relationships
Counseling Services are provided from a perspective which recognizes the emotional, behavioral, cognitive, spiritual and physical aspects of an individuals’ healing or growth. Counseling is provided by licensed mental health therapists in English or Spanish in many areas of eastern North Carolina.
Clinical counseling is also provided in the school setting. If you are a school counselor please contact our offices to request services, or for further information.
Services can be paid for with private insurance, Medicaid or through a sliding fee scale based on income and family size.
For adoption services, contact (252) 638-2188 ext 202.
The Senior Pharmacy Program (SPP) of Catholic Charities assists low-income seniors of all faiths or no faith tradition increase their ability to purchase medications to manage chronic illness. Seniors aged 60 and over receive vouchers for prescription costs and limited medical supplies. This assistance is provided through the monthly distribution of vouchers by trained volunteers or staff members. The SPP program also assist seniors to improve or maintain compliance with their medications.
For more information about the program, please visit the program page or contact the New Bern Office by phone at 252-638-2188.
Services in Support of the Family provide assistance for poor, isolated and vulnerable families in Eastern North Carolina. Families receive a comprehensive assessment of needs, which results in either initial problem-solving for many issues, or a supported referral to connect with other services within the community. Additionally, clinical counseling services are available to resolve challenging family situations. Services are provided in English and Spanish.
The goals of Services in Support of the Family include:
- Assisting families to develop skills and utilize opportunities to improve their lives
- Assisting families to establish and/or maintain stable and supportive family environments.
- Providing opportunities for families within neighborhoods and communities to meet and provide mutual support for each other.
- Helping individuals with strong leadership abilities develop skills to benefit their community.
Volunteers play a very important role in the services that Catholic Charities provide. Volunteers work with poor and vulnerable families of all faith traditions, and quite a few only Speak Spanish.
Throughout our 5 regions we have volunteers working in the following capacities: filing, reception, working in the food pantry (stocking shelves with food, organizing and implementing logistics for food donations and distribution), entering data, and organizing donated clothes.
Volunteers can also be trained to assist with our Family Support Services program. Some responsibilities include: conducting screening interviews to identify clients’ needs, assisting in the ESL or GED classes, assisting with resume writing, and working in the childcare area.
To find out how you can volunteer, please contact the New Bern Office at 252-638-2188.
- In the News: Catholic Charities provides free laundry site September 28th, 2018 The Sun Journal recently covered the deployment of a Washer / Dryer trailer by Catholic Charities USA to New Bern, North Carolina, following Hurricane Florence. Check out their story here. Read more...
- Hurricane Florence Clean Up – New Bern September 29th, 2018 We need volunteers to help remove debris around St. Paul's Catholic Church in New Bern. Read more...
- Wilmington Point of Distribution September 27th, 2018 We will be distributing much needed supplies to families in the Wilmington area. Come out and help us hand out these supplies. — We have many wonderful volunteer opportunities available in the New Bern Deanery. If you are interested in volunteering, we would love to have you join us! Click Here to RSVP *Please include […] Read more...
- Florence Delivery Help – Oriental September 26th, 2018 A delivery of supplies is scheduled for Wednesday at St. Peter the Fisherman. We need volunteers to help us get the supplies off the truck and stored for distribution on Thursday. Read more...
- Neighborhood Canvassing – New Bern September 26th, 2018 Volunteers will go out into the community to let families impacted by Hurricane Florence know about what services are available. Volunteers will meet at the New Bern Office where they will receive instructions and flyers before heading into the community. Read more...
- Washer / Dryer Operation – New Bern September 25th, 2018 Catholic Charities USA has sent a washer/dryer trailer to allow families to do laundry during the day. We need volunteers to greet guests and help guests utilize the equipment. Read more...